Saturday, July 23, 2011

Passing it on: Training Local Workers

Yes, it took us awhile to become confident in building Soilets ourselves, but once we did, we focussed on training. Our partner organization helped us identify four people in the community that would be interested in leaving their daily labors to build some Soilets. We would show them exactly what needed to be done and then we let them build it. It was kind of nice. It was like I got promoted from the laborer working down in the hole to the Supervisor who would just stand up top and nod his head and point his fingers every once in awhile. But not having to hold the shovel wasn't what was making me happy. It put a huge smile on my face to see local Indians building the Soilet independant of us. I was beginning to see a vision of the future of Soilets. So, as you can see, I have a huge smile on my face as I stand next to my Soilet building crew, standing in from of the first Soilet to be completely built by Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment