Saturday, May 14, 2011

Welcome to Hyderabad!

This is me and my sister, Melissa, at Golconda Fort in Hyderabad, India. This picture is interesting because you can see the ancient 400+ year old ruins in contrast with the modern urban city. I've been to New York and Beijing, and I've never seen a city as crammed as this and with such heavy traffic. And it's loud. Drivers honk all the time, not in anger as you would expect in the U.S., but simply saying "hey, I'm here." They honk when they approach cars, intersections, blind spots, and pedestrians. So yes, it is an adjustment leaving the wide open spaces of southern Utah to a place that has no open spaces (except for this fort). When I approached this city in the airplane, I literally could not see the end of the urbanization . It was then when I realized that a team of 13 ambitious volunteers is very small in comparison to a city of 4 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment